Professor of Genetics
Department of Biochemistry, Genetics and Immunology
School of Biology, University of Vigo, Vigo 36310, Spain
+34 986 812038
|ERC Starting Grant 2007
ERC Consolidator Grant 2013
ISI Highly Cited Researcher
My research has been essentially cross-disciplinary, combining concepts and tools from biology, statistics and computer science. My contributions have entailed mainly the development of analytical methods, together with their validation and implementation in friendly bioinformatic tools, but also their application to empirical data. I have primarily worked on the phylogenetic analysis of genes and genomes, including selection of models of nucleotide evolution, phylogeography and estimation of species trees. More recently, I have initiated a new but central research avenue in cancer evolution.
Selected publications (last 5 years)
- Gerdol M, Moreira R, Cruz F, Gómez-Garrido J, Vlasova A, Rosani U, Venier P, Naranjo-Ortiz MA, Murgarella M, Greco S, Balseiro P, Corvelo A, Frias L, Gut M, Gabaldón T, Pallavicini A, Canchaya C, Novoa B, Alioto TS, Posada D*, Figueras A*. 2020. Massive gene presence/absence variation shapes an open pan-genome in the Mediterranean mussel. Genome Biology 21: 275.
- Posada D. 2020. CellCoal: coalescent simulation of single-cell sequencing samples. Molecular Biology and Evolution 5: 1535-1542.
- Alves JA, Prado-López S, Cameselle-Teijeiro JM, Posada D. 2019. Rapid evolution and biogeographic spread in a colorectal cancer. Nature Communications 10: 5139. | IF = 11.878; NumCites = 10.
- Alves JA, Posada D. 2018. Sensitivity to sequencing depth in single-cell cancer genomics. Genome Medicine 10: 29. | IF = 7.071; NumCites = 6.
- Alves JA, Prieto T, Posada D. 2017. Multiregional tumor trees are not phylogenies. Trends in Cancer 3: 546-550. | IF = 8.884; NumCites = 20.
- 2011-pres. Full Professor, Genetics. University of Vigo (Spain)
- 2007-2011. Associate Professor, Genetics. University of Vigo (Spain)
- 2003-2007. Ramón and Cajal Research Fellow. University of Vigo (Spain)
- 2001-2003 Senior Scientist, Variagenics, Inc (Boston, USA)
- 2002 Visiting Scientist, MIT (Boston, USA)
- 1997-2001 PhD Zoology, Brigham Young University (Utah, USA)
- 2000 Visiting Scientist, Oxford University (UK)
- 1994-1997 MS Biology, University of Vigo (Spain)
- 1989-1994 BA Biology. University of Santiago de Compostela (Spain)